servus.at is a cultural network-based initiative in Linz, Austria. One of the main objectives of servus.at in running its own data center is to implement the ideas of a “free society” in a daily practice of cultural and artistic production dealing with technology and ultimately to develop a network of trust.
With our Open Call for a Virtual Residency we want to encourage
artists, hacktivists and cultural producers to use this opportunity
for developing projects, artworks, software for sharing within a
All projects must grant the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study,
change and improve the software.
* developing Free Software for artistic production
* developing artistic Community Tools
* developing artistic Software projects
* projects which reflect on or research the post-digital dilemma
* projects which explore the nature of information
We will be able to support two projects, whereby each is funded with
Apply for the residency.
Send us a download link with your proposal which presents your idea
(3000 to max 6000 characters)
Please include and think about a realistic time management!
After being selected you should be able to present your project in
Linz at the end of November.
What you should know:
How to handle your own virtual server. You should be able to operate
your own GNU/Linux server and know how to handle tools like OpenVPN.
What you get:
* Root access to a virtual machine
* Email addresses (we don’t accept any commercial âfreeâ email
address for communication within this context). You will be
subscribed to the servus-vps mailinglist (low traffic â only
announcements of planned downtimes)
* 100Mbit/s Connectivity over ACOnet (ACOnet is the Austrian
Academic Computer Network for science, research, education and culture)
Deadline for your submission: 5th of July